Monday, October 19, 2009

Firefox blocks insecure .Net add-on

Reference: Firefox blocks insecure .Net add-on

After looking at the comments, I realized I wasn't the only one to see the "Add-On May Be Causing Problems" window in FireFox, see something from Microsoft, and think "what, wait.... did I install that?".

Microsoft has been pushing add-ons to FireFox through Windows Update.

Let me type that again...

Microsoft has been PUSHING add-ons to FIREFOX through WINDOWS UPDATE.

This is terrible.

First off, if I want an add-on for FireFox, I will add it myself.  I don't need Windows Update to do it for me.

Second, I don't want the Windows Presentation Framework.  I don't know what it is, but I surely don't use it.

Third, Microsoft, if you are going to silently install add-ons to FireFox, at least make sure they don't have unintended side-effects, like SLOWING the startup of FireFox.

After uninstalling this garbage off my machine, I've noticed that the 1-2 minute delay when starting FireFox is gone.  I'm glad, too, as it has had a tendency to delay our attendance-on-demand website where I clock-in.

No comments:

Post a Comment