Saturday, May 22, 2010

Another Excellent Use of Dropbox

Dropbox is my new favorite utility.  When I first heard of it, I thought I'd never use it.  Then, after darn near pulling out my hair trying to figure out why my VOIP PBX server keeps freezing up, I wrote my last blog post (like 5 minutes ago!) which copies the uptime file to Dropbox.

Then, I thought that the second biggest pain in the rear is messing with copying files between the computers for the phone configurations.  I have great tools on my Mac (like TextWrangler, which for XML-style phone configuration files is awesome), and... well, I have vim on the VOIP PBX server.

I don't want to mess around with reconfiguring the tftp server (for the phones), so I simply went to ~/Dropbox:
$cd ~/Dropbox

...and linked it to /tftproot, which is the tftp (trivial file transfer protocol) root folder which is returned to the individual phones:
$ln -s /tftproot/

This created a folder link in my Dropbox folder which sent the contents to Dropbox.  Now, with it in Dropbox, I can edit the files on my Mac and Dropbox will handle the transfer.

No comments:

Post a Comment